On Friday 27 August 2004 22:51, GĂ©rard Delafond wrote: > > > because I can never dream to secure more then 2 stars by myself and I > > > can't find anyone to help me? > > What is the problem ? The problem is that our language has some 2 milion speakers, of which officially only 5% uses a computer so it's absolutely not realistic to expect to create a team to translate the docs. > Nobody is supposed to translate everything. People do > only what they want and what they can. > Simply, it would be more responsible if the users would know what quality > they can expect. Personally I'm confident that our translation is top-notch quality: We're continuously a part of the KDE distribution for almost 3 years now. We have a glossary and a styleguide. The translations were revised *several* times by third party. We have a wiki in place for reporting problematic translations and a mailing list. In the past year the number of user comments has decreased and most of them are compliments. So I think it's not fair to use some arbitrary criteria that would e.g. give us a poor rating just because: - we don't translate kdenonbeta cause it's a waste of time - we don't translate KOffice cause we use and promote OpenOffice.org - we don't translate KDevelop cause a developer is supposed to know English and half the terms would be impossible to translate anyway - we don't translate the KDE docs cause it's such an enormous task - and unfinished work is by my definition poorly done; instead we write our own, trimmed down, task-oriented docs - I personally think that if there is e.g. a button that says "Hello world" it's much more intuitive to activate it by pressing Alt+H twice then to press Alt+D just because all the other keys were taken - we leave taking screenshots as "junior jobs" (and a side-effect is that this job is not done yet) - we're technically a two person team - though if you look at the names in PO file headers I'm sure you'll find 30-40 unique names Look, I know what is TQM and I know what you're trying to do. But you can't really judge a translation unless you know the language and know the way a team functions, whether they have a glossary etc. The only way KDE could deal with this is to ask the translators themselves. We already have criteria in place, and that is: http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/KDE_3_3_BRANCH/essential.php And that's all we need for now, IMHO.