List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Improving KDE with translators
From:       Gérard_Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2004-08-27 20:51:20

Le jeudi 26 Août 2004 16:56, Erik Kjær Pedersen a écrit :

> > So you would really like to make me feel bad about my (unpaid) work,
The same for me. But unpaid work is not opposed to quality work.
> > because I can never dream to secure more then 2 stars by myself and I
> > can't find anyone to help me?
What is the problem ? Nobody is supposed to translate everything. People do
only what they want and what they can.
Simply, it would be more responsible if the users would know what quality they
can expect.

> Well if Gerard ever gets any of this crab through I am certainly quitting.
> I have rarely in my life heard nonsense like this.
And what will you do if anybody does this independantly ? Imagine a user, or a
company, or somebody who does not like KDE, takes our stats and publishes a
sort of classment ? It would be more secure if we would rate ourselves. There
is no shame to be alone to translate KDE. I even think it is glorious. But
don't tell people they can trust your work.

I have been very surprised to learn many french people don't use french
translation when using Linux-based systems (not only KDE). The reason is they
don't trust the translation (I must acknowledge they are often right, some
manpages have been translated in 1997 !)

The problem of the quality in the translation of computer programs is a
complex program. Perhaps, there is no perfect solution.
It would be sad if the KDE team would not treat it itself.

Hope you will stay with us for ever.

Friendly

Gerard