List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: patch to kteamtime for the branch
From:       Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl () huftis ! org>
Date:       2004-08-23 20:53:16

Diego Iastrubni <elcuco@kdemail.net> wrote in
org@kdemail.net:

>> Does "%1&nbsp;s" make the compiler/scripty/the translators
>> freak out, or is it an option? Does &nbsp; work anyway in GUI
>> files?
>
> whats wrong about plain old space?

It is a candidate for line breaking. For example, if I try to write 5
s, it may end up on two lines, like this.

The solution is to use a non-breaking space (U+00A0) instead of an
ordinary space. But the problem is that this character isn't
available in the US-ASCII character encoding.

I know the GNOME guys have switched to UTF-8 for all their source
files (and .POT and PO files), and seem very happy with this. This
means among other things that they can use real copyright symbols
(©) and real quotation marks and en-dashes in their programs, and
spell the programmers' names properly (with ü, é, å, Japanese,&c.)
in their programs (i.e. in the source language, 'en-US' -- KDE has
no problems using these characters in *translations*).

--
Karl Ove Hufthammer