List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: flags and countries
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2004-08-23 8:17:22

On Monday 23 August 2004 10:02, Gérard Delafond wrote:
> Le lundi 23 Août 2004 05:35, Rafael Beccar a écrit :
> > >Is it a political choice ? As a french citizen I did not even know these
> > > flags existed. (St Pierre & Miquelon, French Guyane, Wallis, etc.)
> >
> > Mmm... I don't see French Guyane in the list of countries. I think you
> > are taking about the Republic of Guyane, that is an independent country.
> > So, Guyane and French Guyane are both in South America and they are very
> > close each other but they are different things. And as a South American
> > citizen I have known about this flag since I was a kid.     ;-)
>
> Oh, yes !  I see french Guyane is not in the list of countries in KControl
> - Countries and languages. Forgot ? On purpose ?
>
> Do you really think this flag
>
> http://perso.club-internet.fr/francedrapeaux/Hexagone/guyane.html
>
> stands in front on United Nations building in NY ? Is it present in Olympic
> games ? I remember Surya Bonaly, the french ice-skate champion did always
> run under french colors.

Well, KDE's country names are already in conflict with UN definitions. So we
do not need to have exactly the same flags.

(Also this is not about who is the political representant at the UN.)

> In timezones, Cayenne has no flag at all. either put the local one (which
> will be confusing for me), or put the french one (which will be more
> convenient). Don't forget many french techies live in french Guyane
> (Kourou). Probably lots of them use Linux based systems.

French Guyana is an Oversea Department, so the French flag would be the best.

> In timezones, Hawaii has got american flag. Why not this one ?
> http://www.50states.com/flag/hiflag.htm

Ooh, please! Hawaii is directly part of the USA (unlike Puerto Rico for
example.)

> All this is not consistent.

Well, it is just as complex as political borders...

> Gerard

Have a nice day!