List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating documentation and improving our trads
From:       Kevin Donnelly <kevin () dotmon ! com>
Date:       2004-08-12 14:51:54

On Thursday 12 August 2004 2:17 pm, GĂ©rard Delafond wrote:
> At this moment, numerous languages are not in "official" KDE, simply
> because they did not reach the ratio of translated strings.
> Perhaps some similar choice (I don't say the same) could be done with docs?

I don't agree :-)

> When I write docs myself, I try writing shorter things, concentrating on
> what is really difficult. I never write things like "click on Open to
> open".

Ha!  You've never seen some of our users then!  Seriously, I think this is one
of the problems with docs - as we get more used to an app, we tend to forget
what bits we found difficult, and take things for granted.  But a brand-new
user may have tremendous difficulty with things we do without consciously
thinking about them.  I think it's better to err on the side of
s-p-e-a-k-i-n-g  v-e-r-y  s-l-o-w-l-y.

> I don't think bugreport is the best way to get good programs. Even if they
> do, it is too late. The fixes will only be in the next version.

Yes, certainly.  There has to be quality control.  Where we differ is at what
point detailed quality control should be applied - after the first 5 big apps
are done, or at the 40% mark, or 70%, or later?  For better or worse, I tend
towards coverage now (with reasonable checking via catalogues like
http://www.kyfieithu.co.uk/korrect to see what has been used before), and
detailed revision later.  Perhaps I am doing KDE an enormous disservice -
only time will tell.

> KDE is getting more and more a good product. Some big companies use it.
> Some bigger will probably wake the switch. These users will need some sort
> of waranty.

I think the text of the GPL is relevant here.  If companies want a guaranteed
translation, they can pay a professional translator to do it :-)

> The only way to ensure KDE is well translated is translation is complete
> AND good.

Yes, in the long run, but in the short run you can't help prioritising one or
the other, because resources are limited.

> My message is not to say what must be done NOW, but what we should do in
> the future.

On that we can certainly agree!

--

Pob hwyl (Best wishes)