List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Translating documentation and improving our trads
From:       a.celli () jumpy ! it
Date:       2004-08-12 10:07:48

The matter is not "how reading documentation is usefull for user",
but "How translating documentation is usefull for translator" :-)

>   For a translation team, being forced to do
>the docs would be an enormous additional burden, when keeping
> up with the interface is difficult enough - I think many of the translation
teams for
>the smaller languages would simply give up.

The main idea is that current documentation often explain some short
(cryptic) messages you find in gui.po. Then if you translate both PO, you
can
improve translation quality.
Any proposal of forcing teams to translate docs is unliberal and unusefull.
If two different translator (of the same team) translate doc and gui,
no benefit is assured. In some case you can have a non coherent
translation :-|
I can only raccoment a simple recipe: when possible, the same translator
has to translate doc and gui of a program.
By this point of view we'd stop the race to the better percentage of
translated GUIs. It'd better to encourage teams who completed
translation (gui+doc) of packages for non expert users.
For instance, it'd better to have a complete translation of kdegames,
koffice, kdehelp, kdeedu ... that a translation of kdevelop gui's. In the
99% of
cases a programmer using kdevelop don't need any translation and
often keeps the original locale. By the other hand, a children playing
ktuberling or khangman wants its native language.

bye, andrea Celli