FYI: I received this answer to my e-mail: "" BTW, I've something to add if you send a reply to it: People wanting to help with the council which have subscribed the national mailing list and need instructions on how to help with the council / Urgent Call should subscribe         http://lists.ffii.org/mailman/listinfo/consilium-parl And ask for updates / national todos there (not all -parl lists have got people which know what's up and I'm not sure if we are subscribed on all (well, I may be on many of the new ones, but it's better to use good infrastructure) Bernhard "" On Tuesday 27 July 2004 13:11, Ante Wessels wrote: > Hi all, > > As we all know, softwarepatents can hurt open source projects enormously. > If you only have 20 seconds, http://webshop.ffii.org will convince you. > About anything can be patented. Open Source projects do not have the > resources to fight softwarepatent infringement claims. One absurd claim can > kill a project. KDE makes a wonderful product. KDE has come so far, it is > intolerable to see it threatened. The time has come to defend what this > community has made. Through my involvement with KDE I ended up at the FFII > nl. > > The FFII has had a major influence on the European Parliament. The > influence on the Council of Ministers was less strong, may 18 it reached a > political agreement pro softwarepatents. Still, that first round isn't > over. The vote has to be formalized. In the Netherlands a motion was > adopted, urging the minister to withdraw the vote. In Germany, the Deutsche > Bank has published a report that says softwarepatents are bad for > innovation, they ask the government to oppose softwarepatents. More things > will happen. These things often happen at the national level. The coming > months will be crucial. In my opinion, prior to the Council meeting in > which the vote will be formalized, the FFII needs to be a fast moving > organisation that can get a message from the center to all the capitals. > Unfortunately, the FFII isn't as strong in some countries as it is in > others. KDE is better localized in Europe. > > And now, well, I have a Dream. My dream is that the FFII can sometimes tap > into some of that (wo)manpower KDE has in Europe. Sometimes texts need to > be translated, a letter to a parliament send. It would be great if some KDE > contributors and users would join the national lists of the FFII: > http://swpat.ffii.org/group/todo/ , pl-parl, fr-parl, etc. It would be > great if the aKademy would pay attention to softwarepatents. > > "Everything of worth is vulnerable" the Dutch poet Lucebert wrote. IMHO, we > have to stand up to defend it. It may be one of the last summers we can > enjoy KDE as it is. Why not issue a KDE call to arms? If the Deutsche Bank > moves, KDE can march. > > The only thing we have to fear is the future, if we do not shape it > ourselves. > > Together we can do it, > > Ante > > > http://webshop.ffii.org > http://swpat.ffii.org/group/todo/ > http://www.dbresearch.com/PROD/DBR_INTERNET_EN-PROD/PROD0000000000175949.pd >f > > > > > > > ****** > The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki: > http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists > old: > http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists > > Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow, > change filename, file conversion: > http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html > > Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art: > http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita -- vriendelijke groet, cordialemente, Ante ****** The most up to date info for kde artists can be found at the wiki: http://wiki.kdenews.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists old: http://kde.ground.cz/tiki-index.php?page=KDE+Artists Scripts for kde artists, like svg2png4kde, add border, add drop shadow, change filename, file conversion: http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita/linux/index.html Web course italian, poem generator, poetry, stories and visual art: http://home.uwnet.nl/~vita