List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: translations on kde 3.3
From:       Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-07-18 14:35:31

Hi Eduard,

>Hmmm. But that means that you change the behaviour by providing empty *.mo
>files, doesn't it? What if a speaker of Hebrew wants the same behaviour or if
>a speaker of Low Saxon prefers Diego's variant? Are they supposed to delete
>or add *.mo files then? I don't think this is a nice way of configuration, at
>least it is not in line with the kcontrol way. If I got you right I would
>prefer:
>
>if user has selected languages A, B, C, ... (in order of preference)
>
>if ontheflytranslations = false
> 1) check language A,
> if appname.gmo is found for lang A
>     use appname.gmo ,
>      kdelibs.gmo,
>      kio.gmo for this language
> 2) check language B.
>  if appname.gmo is found for lang B, use appname.gmo, kdelibs.gmo,
>    kio.gmo for this language, too
>  3) continue for all langugages that the user has selected as his
> languages that he wants to use.
>else // ontheflytranslations = true
>  foreach lang in (A, B, C)
>     try to use appname.gmo
>     try to use kdelibs.gmo
>     try to use kio.gmo

Suggestion: in kontrol center in country/region & language on the
language tab

add a Group "translation handling" with a text and two radio buttons:
text:" "When the translation of a program into your favorite language is
incomplete"
radio button 1:"fill the gaps with translations drawn from Second/third
choice language, whereever possible."
radio button 2: "pick the first language into which the program is
partially translated and fill the rest with US-English"

I am not sure whether this is clear to a user. Any better ideas?

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann