List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: translations on kde 3.3
From:       Eduard Werner <edi.werner () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-07-18 10:42:42

Njedźelu 18 julija 200413:31, Heiko Evermann pisaše:
> My proposal would be:
> if user has selected languages A, B, C, ... (in order of preference)
> 1) check language A,
> if appname.gmo is found for lang A, use appname.gmo, kdelibs.gmo,
> kio.gmo for this language
> 2) check language B.
> if appname.gmo is found for lang B, use appname.gmo, kdelibs.gmo,
> kio.gmo for this language, too
> 3) continue for all langugages that the user has selected as his
> languages that he wants to use.
>
> This would mean for Hebrew: if appname.gmo for Hebrew is not started,
> and English is the second language, you would get the app completely in
> English, with LTR screen layout. So this would solve the problem for
> Hebrew.
>
> For a language sequence of Low Saxon, German, English we would get
> kdelibs.po in Low Saxon only if appname.gmo is started in Low Saxon,
> which would still solve the problem for us, if we provide empty
> gmo-files for all apps.

Hmmm. But that means that you change the behaviour by providing empty *.mo
files, doesn't it? What if a speaker of Hebrew wants the same behaviour or if
a speaker of Low Saxon prefers Diego's variant? Are they supposed to delete
or add *.mo files then? I don't think this is a nice way of configuration, at
least it is not in line with the kcontrol way. If I got you right I would
prefer:

if user has selected languages A, B, C, ... (in order of preference)

if ontheflytranslations = false
 1) check language A,
 if appname.gmo is found for lang A
     use appname.gmo ,
      kdelibs.gmo,
      kio.gmo for this language
 2) check language B.
  if appname.gmo is found for lang B, use appname.gmo, kdelibs.gmo,
    kio.gmo for this language, too
  3) continue for all langugages that the user has selected as his
 languages that he wants to use.
else // ontheflytranslations = true
  foreach lang in (A, B, C)
     try to use appname.gmo