List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: translations on kde 3.3
From:       Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-07-18 11:31:45

>On Sunday 18 of July 2004 11:43, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
>

>>Søndag 18 juli 2004 12:10 skrev Tom Albers:
>>

>>>Make an option which asks:
>>>Would you like to see as much from the preferred language as possible or
>>>shall we try to prevent a mix of different languages?
>>>

>>I would certainly be in favor of breaking message freeze to get an option
>>like this
>>

>Me too.

My proposal would be:
if user has selected languages A, B, C, ... (in order of preference)
1) check language A,
if appname.gmo is found for lang A, use appname.gmo, kdelibs.gmo,
kio.gmo for this language
2) check language B.
if appname.gmo is found for lang B, use appname.gmo, kdelibs.gmo,
kio.gmo for this language, too
3) continue for all langugages that the user has selected as his
languages that he wants to use.

This would mean for Hebrew: if appname.gmo for Hebrew is not started,
and English is the second language, you would get the app completely in
English, with LTR screen layout. So this would solve the problem for Hebrew.

For a language sequence of Low Saxon, German, English we would get
kdelibs.po in Low Saxon only if appname.gmo is started in Low Saxon,
which would still solve the problem for us, if we provide empty
gmo-files for all apps.

For a language sequence of Upper Sorbian, German, English or a sequence
Upper Sorbian, Czech, English this would also work.

I think that we do not need an option in kcontrol for this. I still do
not understand how that option that You talk about, should look like. Is
there any one who would still get weird results if I change the code in
the way I described above?

We should not offer options that give no benefit to the user and that
would be really difficult to explain to the user.

Kind regards,

Heiko