List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Wotm: translations on kde 3.3
From:       Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-07-17 19:14:23

Hi everyone, hi Eduard,

>But isn't that exactly what the language setting dialog is for? You select
>your favourite language and a hierarchy of fallbacks.
>
>Why is it wrong to let the user decide? I have colleagues who would prefer
>Polish as a fallback for Upper Sorbian, others would prefer Russian, Czech or
>German. Basque users living in France might prefer French as a fallback,
>those living in Spain might prefer Spanish. Friesian users might prefer
>individually nds, nl or de as fallbacks.
>
>Which point am I missing here?

That is an important point. And that is exactly the way the language
fallback was designed and it works fine.

I have had a look at Hebrews as that was specifically mentioned. I had
misunderstood the first post about Hebrew. I had understood that the
English texts were displayed in reverse. But the only thing that gets
reversed is the screen layout.

Here is what I did: I installed kde-i18n/he from head and launched
kstars. Dialog layout is right-to-left (RTL). Menu is RTL. So it starts
from right with the file menu. It is a bit difficult when you only have
a limited knowledge of Hebrew, but you can make your way when you know
the program. There is a module called astro calculator with a tree
control that offers different calculation modules. The tree control is
on the right hand side when you start kstars in Hebrew. (In English or
German it is on the left hand side.) The main menu opens downwards,
submenus then open to the left. All is as it is expected. Some strings
are in Hebrew and some are in English, as the program is not translated
completely.

Then I thought, OK Heiko, kstars does have a Hebrew kstars.mo. So I took
it away. Then I still have the RTL layout, the astrocalc tree control is
in the right hand side, submenus open to the left. And some entries are
still translated, (albeit less than before...) like chalon chadash (new
window). As a supporter of language fallback my argumentation goes thus:

<Heiko>
It is still better to have those standard texts translated, even if no
kstars.mo was present.
And for RLT languages I would even argue that having RLT menu and RTL
screen layout s is still desirable, even if very little is translated.
Why should that be a problem? When most KDE programs are translated,
then most KDE programs would have RTL menus and RTL screen layout
anyway. Wouldn't the old way (to have those programs all in English and
menu LTR) be even more confusing, as that means that some applications
have menus RTL and some have LRT?
</Heiko>

In other words: I guess as a native speaker of Hebrews I would like it
that way. I have to admit that I am not a native speaker of Hebrews, but
I like languages and I learned quite some Hebrew to be able to read the
Old Testament in the original language. And I even switch KDE to
languages that I know just a little, just for fun. I really think I
would like it that way.

Diego was the one to complain about ugly RTL menus in 90% English, 10%
Hebrew, but that would also have been the situation once you have a
kstars.mo in Hebrew with only one string translated. Diego, why do you
think that this is a problem?

I would really like to have a word from a native speaker of the
languages that are concerned here. (Hebrew, Arabic, Urdu etc.) How do
You think about it? Would You really prefer a  program all in English
with layout LTR over a program with "open file" etc translated and
screen layout RTL (just like all translated programs).

(Diego, as You are part of the Italian translation team, I just assume
that You are not a native speaker of Hebrew. I hope that I did not
misjudge that.)

correct and an improvement over the way it was before the language fallback.

Kind regards,

Heiko