List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: po-file mixing is ready for testing. Please have a look
From:       Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-05-28 23:03:48

Hi everyone,

> I have found out some more details about the date format problem:
> ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobas has entries DateFormat DateFormatShort
> and TimeFormat. These get destroyed.
> Editing the date formats explicitly over the region/language dialog
> (date format tab) fills them with nonsense strings.
> When I edit these entries with kate, I can get it to work.

Some more details and corrections
In a fresh kde (.kde directory does not yet exist), a start of KDE will
create a ~/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals without the entries DateFormat,
DateFormatShort and TimeFormat. Once I use kcontrol to edit the region,
the results from the tab "date & time" get written into kdeglobal.
Without picking special values on the tab, we get empty entries:
DateFormat=
DateFormatShort=
TimeFormat=

When konqueror then reads kdeglobals, it finds empty strings as format
specifiers. These get evaluated differently from non-existing entries.
For non-existing entries I get the default values set in
KLocale::initFormat, but with existing but empty entries, dates and
formats do not get shown in konqueror. So the access times disappear.

Another try: I edit the values in the tab and apply. Now I have
DateFormat=WOCHENTAG MONAT tT %Y
DateFormatShort=tT.%n.%Y
TimeFormat=%S:%M:SEKSEK
in kdeglobals. A fresh start of konqueror now shows access times of
"tT.11.2003 32:SEKSEK", which looks neither beautiful nor informative.
I know that these strings "Wochentag Monat etc." appear in the
po-templates. So maybe when filling the tabs, values from english are
translated, and when they are read back in a new language, they are not
recognized on the way back and are used verbatim? Is this caused by my
changes or is this a bug in KDE 3.3. Could someone with a fresh KDE 3.3
perhaps try this out?

Kind regards,

Heiko