List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Armenian Language
From:       Ashod Nakashian <armeniantranslations () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2004-05-17 7:34:24

Hi!

> First, anyone planning to be in Yerevan for the Open
> Source Conference, June
> 28-30? (see www.opensourcearemnia.com).  I will be
> there, and it would be
> good to meet any and all of you!  I will mention
> this project on the
> conference website if you all don't mind.

You should see me there :) Yes, posting about us would
be a good idea. Let's see what everyone thinks though.

> Another thing: my Boston friends and I have been
> raising hardware donations
> with which we're going to set up computer labs in
> three villages around
> Spitak.  We could ask (gently) to test-drive our
> Armenian KDE at those
> schools when we're ready with it.  Nice?  (There are

Off Topic: I think Spitak is a place where people are
_lucky_ to be. A truck-load of other villages (and
towns!) don't even have internet access. I think this
is a good opportunity for me to tell you what I think
about this issue. I think it's not fair to leave out
the rest of Armenia and help Spitak and Giumri for as
long as we remember the earthquake! Also, the kids
(and adults alike) in BOTH Giumri and Spitak have very
special attitude when it comes to donations and help.
They expect everyone to give them an arm and a leg as
soon as they learn that they are from Spitak/Giumri.
How sad. What a shame that I meet people who are no
longer greatful to those who helped them (either
financially or otherwise.) They are spoiled and we did
that. Please consider making such contributions to
other reagions such as the Zankezur region, Artsakh
and Tavush. Then again, you lead a good example that
others should only take note of and follow, just my
$0.02.

...and we can ask them (gently) to test drive our
Armenianized versions of KDE.

> These are great questions, and it would be good to
> have a wiki on the site
> off SF where we can discuss them, and keep a record
> in case we forget what
> we agreed on :).

Agree, only propblem is that we need a server to set
up, any ideas?

> My feeling is, in Eastern Armenian, people react to
> the words "lazerayin
> skavarak" better than to the word "CD".

Good example, then we should do this on a per-word
basis, since I'm sure this example is not a rule,
there are in fact words that don't have a translated
version... not searching far from CD, DVD is such a
word. Anoush, do you know of a name for DVD?

> A couple more points: if you're working on a Windows
> box (some of us are,
> from time to time!  and many people in Armenia
> really have to, as one
> doesn't always have access to a Linux box there)
> ...so, if you're working on
> a Windows box, you have a couple of tools at your
> disposal: poEdit (a
> specialized PO file editor).  Also, Knoppix allows
> one to boot Linux from CD
> on a non-Linux machine.

Yes! In fact I work much more on Windoz then
*nix/Linux machines. Not my first choice, but my daily
work is on Windoz based systems. These tools you
mentioned, I didn't know about them. Tnx.

> Guys, I am curious: who of us are where?  I'm in
> Boston, anyway.  Come by if
> you're here!

Yerevan.

Cheers,
Ash

P.S. I have duplicate email addresses for some of you,
if you are getting this twice, let me know which to
keep and which to trash.