On Saturday 15 May 2004 20:26, Nicolas Goutte wrote: > On Saturday 15 May 2004 16:49, Eduard Werner wrote: > > Sobotu 15 meje 200415:12, Heiko Evermann pisaĊĦe: > > (...) > > > > The current implementation forces people who use these languages to see > > > the untranslated entries in English. I doubt that this is a good choice > > > for most people. > > > > > > Think about the alternative: load the catalogs for all the languages > > > that the user chose in kcontrol, and the user can choose what he gets > > > to see. If he likes English, he can just choose one (his) language and > > > English. But if he doesn't, he can pick any other language to fill in > > > the gaps of his favourite translation. I guess, it might not even be > > > too difficult to implement that? > > > > I don't know. It will definitely make KDE a bit slower. Maybe when the > > language settings get changed a new .mo-file could be generated > > containing all the strings in all the languages you want for every > > program (I guess msgmerge could already do that). The language settings > > of a user would then result in a virtual "user language". That way KDE > > wouldn't have to load several language catalogs. > > But users get only .po files shipped, not the .mo ones. Sorry, of course it is the other way round. The compiled .mo are shipped, the .po are not. > > Then you would also to have to "compile" the .mo files in .po (or without > .mo files, uncompile, merge, re-compile.) Here too, so switch po and mo > > > (...) > > > Cheers > > > > Edi > > Have a nice day! Have a nice day!