List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: cvs problems: sticky tag ... is not a branch
From:       Heiko Evermann <Heiko.Evermann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-04-26 18:19:12

Hi Eduard,

>yes, I've browsed the archive. I'm checking out (with cervisia) KDE_3_2_BRANCH
>for my translation team and templates ok. Next, I edit a file with kbabel and
>then I want to commit it. However, I get
>
>cvs server: sticky tag 'KDE_3_2_BRANCH for file 'xxxx.po' is not a branch
>
>After browsing the mailing list I did
>
>cvs update -A
>
>and get some conflicts for my file. I resolve them and then I can commit from
>kbabel. Everything seems fine. But next time I check the files out my changes
>are gone. What am I doing wrong?

Some ideas
1)If you check in and you get no error message, the data went somewhere.
1.1) If you give us the name of the file, we could have a look, where
your commit ended up.
1.2) you can your local sandbox with cervisia, select the file in
question, right mouse click opens a context menu, pick "browse log" =>
you will get a separate window with a tree view of the commits. There
you will see, what happened to the file.

2) http://www.loria.fr/~molli/fom-serve/cache/130.html says that cvs
update -A moves back to the main branch (head?). This is probably not
what you wanted to do?

3) I use commands like in http://nds.i18n.kde.org/installation.php3 for
checking out a specific branch. Try those. Replace the language code
with hsb and replace cvsroot with your actual username, otherwise you
won't get write access. This should work fine.

4) If this trouble comes from moving to a different branch (some time
ago you wrote about that, but I did not follow that thread closely) you
could also generate a local sandbox of this branch (see 3) and a local
copy of the older branch (similar commands). Then copy the files by hand
(konsole or konqueror) and check everything in.

Perhaps this helps a bit.

Kind regards,

Heiko Evermann