List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Suggestions for i18n-friendly entry of duration data?
From:       Shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2004-04-06 18:28:10

[ Please CC: me and Dag on replies as we are not subscribed ]

Hi all,

In KPlato, there is a need to support convenient and fast entry of duration
information. The sorts of duration involved might be 1.5 days or 6.5 weeks or
2.3 years. We are looking for a GUI paradigm to support this, and which is an
improvement over what we have today (checkout CVS head if you are
interested).

One attractive idea is that we should allow the entry of strings like "1.5d",
"6.5w" for example, but we are a bit concerned as to the i18n impact of this
approach on reliably parsing the input [1].

Can anyone provide suggestions on this point?

An additional minor point is that we would like to find a paradigm which is
suited for a dialog, as well as a spreadhseet-like format for bulk
entry/review of data.

Thanks, Shaheed

[1] We presume that both the decimal point and the suffix are subject to
change, that the suffix may become a prefix, and we would have to change the
parser based on the user's current locale setting or somesuch. A
configuration dialog for this is possible, but seems a rather rubbish
solution!