List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Stats on a new basis?
From:       Kevin Donnelly <kevin () dotmon ! com>
Date:       2004-02-19 23:22:04

On Thursday 19 February 2004 10:48 pm, Claudiu Costin wrote:
> On Joi 19 Feb 2004 16:55, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> > Up to 3.2, pot files which were not translated were shown in red (as
> > "untranslated"), and their total was added to the total of strings,
> > provided at least one file in the package was translated.  Now however,
> > these files show up in purple (as "info not available"), and their totals
> > are not added to the total of strings.
> >
> > Assuming this is a policy decision, it is not as useful as the earlier
> > method, since it gives a misleading picture of how far the translation
> > effort has progressed - for example, after 3.2 Welsh was at 43%, and now
> > it is at 71%, although no further additions have been made.  So we still
> > have 60%+ of the "total" strings to translate, not 30%. On this basis,
> > the stats are pretty meaningless - they just say that "you have
> > translated x% of the files you submitted".  I know that - what is more
> > relevant is how many files are yet to be done.
>
>    Please give me links to pages which you consider erroneus.

Most of the pages seem to be like this now, and to make things more
perplexing, there are some reds among the purples.

An example is:
http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/KDE_3_2_BRANCH/cy/kdeaddons/index.php
Only one file (desktop_kdeaddons.po) has been translated (that will be
different tomorrow, since today I committed 14 new files), and all the rest
are listed as purple (n/a), apart from a couple (kateprojectmanager.pot,
katespell.pot and kcmmediacontrol.pot) which are listed as red (even though
they should so far as I can see have the same status as the purple ones).

I know it was different a while ago, because I actually used this page to look
at the number of strings in each file, and decide which files to put on our
Kartouche website - hence the new files I just committed.

Another example is:
http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/KDE_3_2_BRANCH/cy/kdemultimedia/index.php

--

Best wishes