List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Malayalam efforts
From:       "Mahesh T. Pai" <paivakil () vsnl ! net>
Date:       2004-01-27 14:26:20

Hi.

As  stated  in my  earlier  mails, we  are  beginning  our efforts  on
Malayalam translation / localisation for KDE.

As in most Indic languages, localisation efforts for Malayalam need to
start  with proper  rendering  and reordering  of  the glyphs.   GNOME
translation for Malayalam have progressed  a lot, but the pango team's
efforts  have  not  yielded   satisfactory  results  on  reordering  /
substitution.  The averate  Joe User  might  not find  the display  of
Malayalam  language very pleasing.  Right now,  Pango Indic  module is
(presumably relicensed) from IBM's ICU.

The GNOME Malayalam localisation efforts so far were using a different
set of fonts,  with fewer set (less than 300) of  glyphs. Now, we (the
KDE team) propose to use the Rachana fonts.

Is there any separate place where rendering issues for QT is discussed?

--

  Mahesh T. Pai, LL.M.,
  'NANDINI', S. R. M. Road,
  Ernakulam, Cochin-682018,