List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kwin.po - "some shortcuts have Tarzan-speech like names"
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-01-08 12:29:06

On Thursday 08 of January 2004 00:14, Claudiu Costin wrote:
>    Dear friends,
>
> As I said some weeks ago, kwin.po have some strange
> words combinations:
>
> #: kwinbindings.cpp:68
> Pack Grow Window Horizontally
>
> #: kwinbindings.cpp:70
> Pack Grow Window Vertically
>
> #: kwinbindings.cpp:72
> Pack Shrink Window Horizontally
>
> #: kwinbindings.cpp:74
> Pack Shrink Window Vertically
>
>  I digged on kdebidings.cpp & Co. and I think I can explain them.
> Lubos, please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> The "pack" is refering to the placing action by KWin manager which
> try to fit windows on screen.

 The word 'pack' comes from wishlist #59161, which had a patch implementing
the feature. It's about moving windows in such a way that it's moved in the
direction until it hits another window (and if you press the shortcut again,
it will be moved next to another window in that direction). I added the
resizing which works the same way. The important thing is that it doesn't
move by <value> pixels, but one keypress moves it to the desired position (if
you try it, it should become obvious).

> "Pack Grow Window Horizontally" should be "translated" like
> "Place the window and grow it horizontally to fit in place"
>
> So I think you may translate it like from the original text:
> a) "Shrink Window Horizontally"  (simple, no need for pack because
> no other similar context exists)
>
> b) "Place by shrinking window horizontally"
> (long, but depends if you cope up with space in Global Accel dialog...)
>

> P.S. You're welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

 I'm actually not sure how to describe it better in a short way. That's why I
left the word 'pack' there, sorry if it caused trouble. Maybe a better
description for it would be something like 'Move right(left,...) to next
window' for moving, and 'Resize right(left,...) to next window' for resizing.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer