List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    POT/PO file linting
From:       Pedro Morais <pmmm () rnl ! ist ! utl ! pt>
Date:       2004-01-07 1:10:47

Hi!
I'm in the process of writing, with José Pires, several PO/POT file format
linting tools.
The tools are writen in Python and I'll try to release them later this week.

For a first real output of the project, look at this page:
http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~pmmm/potchecker.html
It shows a list of strings it suspects have wrong capitalization; I know this
can't be fixed now (string freeze) but I hope someone with a full checkout
can pick this later and fix it.
There are some false positives.

I'll probably add the page generation to a cron job and put it somewhere on
http://kde-pt.linuxhome.org, the Portuguese team translation HQ.

Also being tested on the Portuguese team is a tool that checks for common
mistakes, like msgid's that end in ":" whose msgstr don't, msgid's that don't
end in < and the msgstr's do (common mistake for us emacs users).
Also, a tool like kde-i18n/check_consistency but that's 10 times faster (on
the portuguese po files) and also checks multi line messages.

If you have any ideias of stuff that could be used to automatically detect
common mistakes on PO/POT files please let me know, i'll do my best to
implement it.
--
Pedro Morais - morais@kde.org - http://www.rnl.ist.utl.pt/~pmmm/