List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE OpenType
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-12-30 8:29:25

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 22:36:02 +0100, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

>> I'm in the process of adding Khmer support to Linux.
>> I've had success with GNOME using Pango to adapt the
>> Indic module to render Khmer.
>>
>> I would like to do the same. My question is, where do
>> I start? What font rendering modules does KDE use for
>> OpenType? Would this be something handled in ICU?
>
>As far as I know, OpenType fonts are directly handled by Qt (from Qt 3.2 on).
>(As for questions as "how well", I am not the right person to ask. Sorry!)

We just got the first Indic languages that use OpenType into CVS:
Bengali (bn) and Hindi (hi). I heard about remaining issues but don't
know any specifics (CCing Shaheed therefore). We also have Tamil but
they always used a specific workaround and I don't know whether they
converted to OpenType already nor about the status of their translation
in general. Of course, there is nothing like testing it yourself and
report bugs to TrollTech.

Anyway, it would be great to finally get Khmer into KDE. Years ago,
there were a few people very interested to get it in but they gave up
and didn't come back for 3.2 yet.

Regards,

Thomas

---