List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Qt-Copy updated to Qt 3.3 snapshot
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-12-25 19:09:23

On Thursday 25 December 2003 18:12, Giovanni Venturi wrote:

> Alle 01:43, domenica 21 dicembre 2003, Dirk Mueller ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > due to various requests I've updated qt-copy to a current 3.3 snapshot.
> > Those who want to stay on the stable Qt release 3.2.3 (the majority I
> > hope), should either not update or switch to the QT_3_2_BRANCH (this tag
> > only exists in qt-copy). The QT_3_2_BRANCH is the state of qt-copy like
> > it was yesterday, so nothing will change for you (no recompilation
> > required).
> >
> > To switch to the branch, do:
> >
> > $ cd /path/to/qt-copy
> > $ cvs up -rQT_3_2_BRANCH
> >
> > Please note that so far we do not bump the minimum required Qt version
> > for KDE 3.2/HEAD. So if you change your code, make sure it compiles with
> > the Qt 3.2.x release as well. However, the 3.3 tree gives opportunity to
> > improve KDE / Qt compatibility (like adjusting the styles to the API
> > extensions etc).
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Dirk
>
> Hi Dirk,
> can you explain me something? Is Qt 3.3.x for KDE 3.3.x or not? So Qt 3.2.x
> is for KDE 3.2? If so, can there be some problem in using Qt 3.3.x for KDE
> 3.2.x like using Qt 3.2.x for KDE 3.1.x?
> Thank you and Merry Christmas everyone,

Normally the Qt used will developing KDE should be used. So Qt 3.1 for KDE
3.1. Similar for 3.2. The problem is of course that bug fixes are in later
versions, so people want to use the next Qt version. (That is also the case
why Qt3.3beta has been put into qt-copy.)

As for knowing if it will bring so many problems, well we would like to know
it too. However that is something difficult to know in advance. (Personally I
would very much like to know if KOffice 1.3 on KDE 3.1.4 on QT 3.3 woul
work.)

As for your question, well as qt-copy has Qt 3.3, I suppose that KDE 3.2 will
be fixed to work on it. (Of course, bad surprises are not excluded, as ever.)

> Gianni :-)

Have a nice day!