List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: String freeze
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-29 15:05:07

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 02:29, Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 Oct 2003 00:57, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
(...)

> > Perhaps some of the points can be solved by having a document like I have
> > explained at the start of this email. If such a document needs a
> > dictionary, then it should be added too (or the dictionary could be a
> > separate document.) Why not describing in it what a "folder" is and what
> > a "directory" is? It would probably also avoid that this question is
> > raised each year, that each year there is a mass change and that each
> > year there is a "back-correction" for "directory" in a command line
> > context.
>
> I don't mind the work, as long as people don't undo it without discussion.
> I don't really have the inclination to write a style guide. I really don't
> want to get involved with the folder/directory issue, I don't really
> understand it myself.

Yes, but this is one problem of KDE, on one side, people not writing docs, on
the other, people not reading them. Therefore the transfert of knowledge is
not happening. And this leads unfortunately that someone wastes his time (one
time one person, another time another. Some people might be disturbed all the
time.)

I too do not know a real working solution for this. :-(

(...)

> > I do not think that developers make it on purpose to annoy
> > text-correcting people. Personaly, I have noticed that everytime that I
> > apply what I have learnt at school or university about English, I am
> > corrected afterwards. That is frustrating too! (I suppose that I am not
> > the only one in this situation.)
>
> I've enclosed a diff of changes that were reverted. Do you think our friend
> forgot to cvs up?

Yes, may be, Or he used it wrongly or he get conflicts and resolved it the
easy way.

When someone does not contact you, I suppose that then it is your turn to
contact him. (All email addresses are in kde-common/accounts for that
reason.) I suppose that posting in a few mailing lists might not be the
solution, as most people do not read kde-cvs (except mostly people with flat
rates) and kde-i18n-doc is not a highly read mailing list either, I am
afraid.

> All the best to ALL the people contributing (I mean it).
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

Have a nice day!