List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: String freeze
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-29 0:57:15

It would perhaps be good if a short version of the style guide concerning only
the text. This would be easier for developers to look for what they need. The
style guide itself has too many information that are rather irrelevant, as
either it is done by Qt or KDE or because it is only releveant at design
time.

If such a short reference would exist, we would perhaps avoid to have style
guide fix at the last moment or even worse at string freeze time. (I suppose
that the Italian translator of KDevelop will be even more upset tomorrow
(well, more later today), when he will find out that there are even more
fuzzies.)

As the above is not really the subject of your email, let's discuss about it
too. To avoid any misunderstanding, what follows is not personal against you,
Malcolm. I have tried to show examples where the text correcting people are
not cooperating with others.

First example: notifying kde-i18n-doc

I was told that when you changed user-visible strings despite a message freeze
or when you change a documentation despite a documentation freeze, you had to
inform this mailing list: kde-i18n-doc.

Personally I have done it for the "tons" of untranslated strings that KOffice
had and when removing the worst part of KWord's filter documentation.

So now, take the example of KDevelop, as this problem was raised tonight. Was
this notification done for the "style fix" of Monday? No! If you consider
Monday to be a border case, was it done one day after (yesterday)? Not
either.

Second example: changes by sed scripts

I have noticed too many times that changes were made by sed scripts (or by the
replace function of an editor) without any control thereafter. (It has again
appeared in the "folder" versus "directory" change.) Even worse are changes
where the code itself was touched by these automatic changes.

Third example: "I am a native English speaker"

That is the one that I hate the most. I do not see why being a native speaker
is a wildcard to know better than the developer what the developer wants to
tell, not counting the consdescending way. (To avoid any misunderstanding:
this is not about Malcolm, not at all.) And no, I do not mind that someone
tells, "Sorry, but you cannot write that in English, as it would be
misunderstood."

I could probably give more examples but it would get (more?) silly, so I stop
here.

So those are a few example points that I think would help people in general if
they would not stay as they are. I know that text-correcting people have
probably as much a lack of time as developers. I also know that telling is
easy and doing is hard (including for me.)

Perhaps some of the points can be solved by having a document like I have
explained at the start of this email. If such a document needs a dictionary,
then it should be added too (or the dictionary could be a separate document.)
Why not describing in it what a "folder" is and what a "directory" is? It
would probably also avoid that this question is raised each year, that each
year there is a mass change and that each year there is a "back-correction"
for "directory" in a command line context.

It is only when every developer would have the posibility to look at a
reference (which must be useful for him or unfortunately he will not use it)
that the number of simple text correcting tasks would decrease. Then
text-correcting people would have more time to really fix spelling, grammar
and unclear phrasing. And translators would have less fuzzies, especially
less fuzzies after message freeze.

I do not think that developers make it on purpose to annoy text-correcting
people. Personaly, I have noticed that everytime that I apply what I have
learnt at school or university about English, I am corrected afterwards. That
is frustrating too! (I suppose that I am not the only one in this situation.)

I hope that I have offended nobody and that I was constructive enough. If not,
I am sorry.

Have a nice day!