List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: "Folder" or "Directory"?
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-10-20 21:24:37

On Monday 20 October 2003 16.31, Craig Drummond wrote:
> > I dispute that no decision has ever been made, because a firm decision
> > was
 indeed reached on kde-i18n by many of the people concerned including
> > the English docs and proofreading team, several years ago, after a long
> > discussion covering virtually the same ground that's been regurgitated
> > here lately.
>

> OK - I should've searched the archives before posting, didn't think it'd
> be
 such a big issue. Anyway, I can't find any "firm decision" on kde-i18n.
> On kde-doc-english I found statements such as:

Even better, you now have the go ahead for all that shiny happy fun work!

> > Even better, raise it at an appropriate time, in an appropriate place,
> > along with carefully hand checked patches that won't break anything -
> > said
>

> That'd be a big patch if there are 1830+ strings...

It would, wouldn't it.  Someone will have to kick it off if it's to be done at
all though, and you seem so eager :)  I expect it will be much more practical
to do "in bits", even if they're all committed together in the end.   I
suggest also we take my usual route when doing funky big changes in the docs,
and start in a small cvs module (kdetoys is great for this) and work out
kinks there before attempting to fix the big ones.

Using the i18n .pot files is very helpful here, for preliminary investigation
purposes, since they nicely gather all strings together (check out the
kde-i18n/templates directory to see what I mean, to save you checking out the
entire kde-i18n module.)  They cover both the docs and the GUI.

I'll be happy to help out with the docs, although in some cases would be best
if they are done after the GUI strings (in case there are some that are
difficult to change, the docs should follow what really is present in the
GUI)

> > 'it's really not very urgent, if you care so much, be prepared to do the

 work' category.

> As I said in the original mail, I am prepared to make the changes
> (although
 obviously not for other languages) myself. But as I don't
> consider myself "senior" enough in KDE to make such a decsion, I asked on
> kde-usability, and here.

I think we should coordinate on kde-i18n-doc from now on.

I see a couple of places where "directory" is more than just a string, yet
still user visible that may constitute problems to solve - .directory files
with per-folder settings, is the one I already hit.

As far as changing !English goes, we should be able to do something fairly
automated.  I would expect the procedure will be something like "Identify all
occurrences of directory that are not to be changed,   Then by hand if
necessary, switching occurrences of "directory" to something else like
"really-not-a-folder", doing a search and replace on the remainder, across
all the sources, .pot files, and the .po files for all languages, then change
back the 'protected' stuff)  That's probably oversimplifying it, but it
should be possible to minimize impact to i18n teams, if we decide to go ahead
with this now (pre 3.2)

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts