List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: bug?
From:       Kevin Donnelly <kevin () dotmon ! com>
Date:       2003-10-07 15:22:27

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 11:01 am, Erik K. Pedersen wrote:
> You misunderstood me. Putting export LANG=da_DK into .bash_profile does
> work, but it is absurd that what used to work, namely setting the language
> to Danish in kcontrol, does not work any more. I get questions from newbies
> who havn't even figured out to set their e-mail addresses so I can't answer
> them. Before Redhat, Suse etc. decided they had to "improve" on KDE this
> kind of thing worked very easily, but having to edit .bash_profile is a
> ridiculous thing to ask of a newbie to linux.

Certainly did!  I still find it strange that your correspondent had to do
this, since Danish comes already set up on SuSE (Welsh doesn't, as yet).  Did
he try doing what the SuSE manual explains at some length, ie changing the
RC_LANG variable in YaST?  Did that not work?

I can't pretend to understand why SuSE has "improved" on the old kcontrol
method, but aren't there issues to do with changing the language used in
non-KDE stuff as well (eg terminals, Gnome stuff, X stuff, etc)?

--

Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rydd yn Gymraeg