List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: kchart documentation comments
From:       Jonathan <j.e.drews () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2003-06-11 23:42:27

Hello Pedro:

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 04:47 PM, Pedro Morais wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm starting to translate the HEAD koffice documentation; even thought I'm
> sure it will change, it's better to start early.
>
> Now, for some kchart issues I've found:
>
> various statements like "don't use this" "it doesn't work" "beta software",
> that I guess will be corrected on a documentation update

 Well let's hope.  When I initially did the docs, Kchart was pretty buggy.
Truth be told it can only work inside Kspread. It has no capability to accept
ASCII files of numbers.

> "This item will now have a blue background" -
> (isn't that color scheme dependent)

 I will try and answer some of these questions. I do not have Koffice
installed here. I used it a while back but it mangled every document I made
in it.

> Toolbars...</guimenuitem></menuchoice> Is..."
> ('Is' should be 'is')

 Can't remember. I tried to duplicate exactly what was displayed in the menu.
If the menu showed "Is..."  then I used that.

> (missing . in the end of the sentence)
>
> "The new Item..."
> (should item be capitalized?)

 Whatever the menu displayed I used; I used the exact same capitalization.
The menu items may have changed from a year ago.

> "... Each graphed set of data is a series"
> (missing . in the end of the sentence)

 Ok add it in. Fine with me.

> "... allows you to specify key bindings"
> (missing . in the end of the sentence)

 Right missing period again.

Pedro and others:

 I really don't have high expectations that Kchart is going to be usable any
time soon. I hate to say that but it has been in a semi-finished state for so
long. Before you actually began doing all this work, I suggest that you try
to draw some graphs to see what shape it is in. If features are not working
it would be a good idea to just say so. At the time I wrote the
documentation, The Configure Tabs section was really buggy. I would click on
buttons and nothing would work. I did my tests on the HEAD version of
Koffice, which I cvsuped every 96 hours. I am going to wait until late July
to revise the docs. Hopefully by then Kchart will have been worked on.

						Kind regards,
						Jonathan