List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    poxml again
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-03-13 21:02:12

Hi!

JFYI: I somehow got unsubscribed from this list
and didn't even noticed as kde-i18n-de kept my
inbox full :)

I'd like to tell you that I implemented some more
features for poxml after getting some feedback
while using poxml for SuSE internal projects and
would like to hear about suggestions from KDE
translators as you have much more experience and
may judge better.

The most important change (you'll notice this most
often when you look at fuzzy entries in HEAD) is
that messages that appear in different tags are listed
twice in the PO file (index terms and titles beeing the
most prominent example)

If you want to remove a part from your translated
document because it's specific to english, translate
the strings to spaces as po2xml will remove all nodes
that contain white space only. If you find problems with
this, please let me know. I know of some KDE documents
that have <para></para> in the original, that wouldn't
validate anymore, so they need cleanup.

If you have parts of a document, where you feel that
translating the pure XML would give better results,
let the editor (aka Lauri :) know. She can know put
an attribute condition="do-not-split" in the XML
tag. That will put the whole content as one msgid in
the PO file. I implemented that more for completness,
but I'm eager to hear real world examples where you
find this useful.
One example I found myself useful are the command line
descriptions of some KDE programs, where you get
msgids like "-h" and a bit longer string. There it might
make sense to translate the -h and the string together.

If you have another suggestion how to improve poxml,
please let me know.

Greetings, Stephan