List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Call for help: l10n of addressing formats
From:       Jost Schenck <jost.schenck () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-02-18 23:46:20

[cc:ing kde-pim as I'm interested in the opinion of Tobias/Cornelius/Anders et
al.; sorry you guys for raising this issue again ...]

> On Tuesday 18 February 2003 01:16, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > Many of these things are readily available in the LC_ADDRESS portion
> > of the normal Linux locales.

There's one problem with the address information in LC_ADDRESS. It does not
correctly reflect the position of the country in an address. The problem is
that the positioning of the country is according to the sender's location,
the formatting of the address according to the receiver's location. As far as
I can tell, the LC_ADDRESS format stores the country information as a tag
just like street or name etc. And this is simply wrong (see P.S.). So right
now, the implementation in libkabc does in my opinion a quite good job (with
a bad standards conformance), an LC_ADDRESS conform implementation would do a
worse job (with better standards conformance).

I of course might implement a good formatting according to KDE locales with a
fallback to not-as-good formatting according to LC_ADDRESS if there is no KDE
locale. Which would however mean additional complexity.

Or, of course, the LC_ADDRESS standard might be corrected -- Keld, I'd be very
happy if you could forward my concerns to the right people :)

So, what do you think?
-Jost.

P.S. for better understanding, a German address is written like this for
someone in Switzerland:

Peter Pan
Foobar Street 3
12345 Berlin
GERMANY

and like this for somebody in Japan:

GERMANY
Peter Pan
Foobar Street 3
12345 Berlin

This is not reflected in LC_ADDRESS, as far as I can tell.