List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Call for help: l10n of addressing formats
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2003-02-18 15:15:44

[Eww, that's getting to be a big cc-list. Please don't CC me as well, I
read the list (as I imagine Jost, Keld and Jacob do too).]

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003, Keld [iso-8859-1] Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 01:35:04PM +0100, Jost Schenck wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 February 2003 01:16, Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > > Many of these things are readily available in the LC_ADDRESS portion
> > > of the normal Linux locales.

Please remember KNL : KDE's Not Linux. So while the Linux LC_ADDRESS files
may be a useful source for this l10n information, you can't rely on them
being available at runtime. You'll probably have to duplicate this
information somewhere in KDE.

[ade]

PS. That said, here's the .nl address format:

<Person's Name>
<Street Name> <Number>
<Postal Code> <City>

Post boxes have Street Name = "Postbus". Postal codes are always 4 digits
and 2 letters. Postal codes below 1000 do not exist.

Ie.

Rijksoverheid
Postbus 51
1000 AA Amsterdam

Adriaan de Groot
Toernooiveld 1
6523 BG Nijmegen

Because addressing in .nl is straightforward, you can usually just write
the number and the postal code and things will go ok (sorting is done by
OCR and automated sorters, mostly) if you write them in the approximately
sensible, like:

         51
1000AA

Some house numbers are complicated, like

	6a-3hoog

but their location on the address label remains unchanged.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE