List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    New mime type policy for KOffice
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-12-20 12:24:08

As it might interest translators and core developers, I am going to give a
short overview of the new mime type policy for KOffice.

From now on, new mime types for KOffice are always to be defined in kdelibs
CVS HEAD (of course as long as it has no message freeze.)

However, as KOffice is supposed to work with previous KDE version too, we have
duplicates of these new mime types in KOffice. To avoid packaging conflicts,
these duplicates are only installed depending on the KDE version. Currently
the duplicates are for KDE 3.1.x only and are located in the directory
koffice/mimetypes/kde31.

From the point of view of a translator, this solution has the inconvience that
the .desktop files appear two times and have to be translated two times
(however the strings should always be the same in the two files.)

In case of a message freeze of kdelibs CVS HEAD, new mime types are defined
only in KOffice until the message freeze is over. So in theory, there should
be no new mime types added during a message freeze of kdelibs, unlike what
has happened in the past.

Mime types defined in KOffice and not yet following this system are currently
being moved but as we try to change the mime types to vnd.kde ones it is
delayed a little.

Please CC me, if the answer to this email, Thank you in advance!

Have a nice day/evening/night!