List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    KOffice i18n & CVS : Can't understand the logic
From:       Macolu <macolu () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-12-13 21:21:34

Hi everybody !

There are a few points that I can't understand about KOffice. Please tell me
if I'm wrong (which is propably the case).

KOffice is released independently from the rest of KDE. So, koffice doesn't
follow the same release schedule. All right for the moment.

But I noticed that the KOffice i18n contents (.pot, .po, etc) are present in
the KDE_3_1_BRANCH. Why ?
When this branch was created, there was no planned KOffice release (except
1.2.1, but it's not the same thing). So the koffice i18n contents present in
the 3.1 branch is a head snapshot which doesn't correspond to anything. So it
is useless : outdated for head, and doesn't correspond to any release.
If it is present in the 3.1 i18n tarballs (can't check, sorry), it just
enlarges them for nothing.

This situation is confusing, since translators may want to translate koffice
in 3.1 branch, which is a waste of time.

IMHO, there would be an easy way to fix that (and be more logical) : do not
include koffice i18n contents in kde 3.1 (and following) branch, and keep
including it in the koffice 1.2 (and following) branch.

I hope to be understandable