List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Please do not use automated translation systems nor external CVS repositories, or do it with car
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-22 17:23:09

Am Freitag, 22. November 2002 18:54 schrieb Erik K. Pedersen:

> Fredag 22 november 2002 04:23   skrev Éric Bischoff:
> > This is what CVS is all about : being able of having several people
> > writing concurrently the same files. It has been working for years with
> > the developpers, it should not make problems among the translators. You
> > just have to accept that you do not "own" the files.
>
> I think the point you are missing is that this works very well for
> developers because they all have cvs accounts.

... and they often do not work with KBabel which has big problems with version
conflicts. (Apart from very simple header conflicts it often just refuses to
load them). I must admit that I usually don't have (or take) the time myself
to go after such conflicts which already arise when I check out a file in the
morning and commit it back in the early afternoon. I just copy my translation
over and do so with the files others send to me. This is, of course, not
ideal but it is the only thing I can do in the little time I have.

> When
> I am only able to see my e-mail once or twice a week, I would do a cvs up,
> put in the files that had been mailed to me and a cvs commit. How am I
> supposed to be sure I am not reverting something in that situation?

Same here.

> I believe more in Lauris suggestion to find a good way to "know" when there
> have been changes made, not by me, and I intend to start doing that.

Good luck. ;-)

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org