List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Please stop using stupid automated translation systems !
From:       Éric Bischoff <e.bischoff () noos ! fr>
Date:       2002-11-19 1:19:44

Le Monday 18 November 2002 18:24, Gaute Hvoslef Kvalnes a écrit:

> For bulk changes, just send a message to kde-i18n-doc. Something like
> "Teams, for your information: We just updated docs/blabla/something" would
> be fine.

Don't you think we write enough on this list already ? ;-)

> On the other hand, what kind of changes is this? Why isn't it enough to
> update the template file, followed by a msgmerge that gives fuzzy messages
> that the teams have to update themselves?

Yes, this has always been the theory. But my experience is that, if you do
that, then you can wait for years for some teams to do the needed changes.

Also, some manipulations are really complicated, and if you don't care, they
can result in lost translated messages. This is the typical case when a
documentation is split into several parts, or when GUI messages move from one
module to the other. Such maintainance has to been done in a centralized way.

> > If you would like to monitor commits, without signing on the very high
> > traffic kde-cvs mailing list, you can use the nntp mirror with KNode.
> > The server is news.uslinuxtraining.net, and the cvs traffic there is
> > filtered into small chunks, so you can subscribe to just kde-cvs-i18n and
> > you will only see commits there.
>
> Thanks for the tip.

I think it should match your needs, yes.

--
Calling their ennemies "terrorists" was the excuse for
the nazis to do whatever violation of the human rights.