List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: translation gUI in Piemonteis
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-18 19:08:47

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:06:31 +0000, Steffan Donnelly wrote:

>I agree that difficulties would be caused if dialect versions of every
>"standard" language started sprouting up - I am not sure how many takers
>there would be for KDE in the Shropshire dialect, or in the Lancashire
>dialect, although they undoubtedly exist.  But my point is that those
>difficulties are not in themselves reason to ban dialect translations if
>someone wants to put the (possibly misguided) effort into doing them, IMHO.

Nobody bans this stuff from KDE, only from kde-i18n. Even a beginning
Klingon translation exists in kdenonbeta and is looking for a real
home. But it won't be kde-i18n. Same goes for dialects.

>Should their translations then be given space on KDE servers?  Again, I don't
>see how you can refuse, and still hold to the principles of open-source/free
>software.

Quite simple: All this works needs module maintainers and people who do
administration work and make decisions (whenever possible based on
consensus). The decision in this case: not to include dialects and fun
projects into kde-i18n (pretty good consensus so far among most
language maintainers). "Free Software" does not mean that I have to do
what somebody else tells me, either, you know. ;-) Nobody keeps anybody
from doing these things elsewhere and if they can maintain it on their
own.

>Is disk-space really so expensive?

It's not only disk space (although we ran out of this, too, once in a
while), it's also administration work, and scripts that already run for
more than 20 hours a day, even with the existing languages. We are not
going to include any more of them in kde-i18n if we can't be fairly
sure that there is minimal real world interest for them and that they
will be well maintained.

>I agree with you that it is indeed up to Piemonteis speakers themselves to
>decide whether or not they want KDE in that language.  But I continue to
>think that if they do (and produce the translated texts to prove it), it
>would be presumptuous to reject it.  I know there are various political
>overtones (Northern League et al), but this should surely be looked at purely
>as a linguistic matter insofar as it applies to KDE.

The "linguistic matter" for kde-i18n is clear enough: "no pure fun
project" (which are not meant for serious work) and "no dialects" (for
more or less the same reason). Apart from that we have those minimum
requirements that should show pretty clear in themselves if somebody is
serious about a project or not.

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/