List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: translation gUI in Piemonteis
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-18 7:42:23

Am Mittwoch, 18. September 2002 09:29 schrieb Éric Bischoff:

> On Tuesday 17 September 2002 23:29, Piotr Szymanski wrote:
> > Hubert Marquart (Tuesday 17 September 2002 02:46):
> > > It's a shame really, seeing all those wonderful dialects/languages
> > > disappearing, but it's just like that.
> >
> > If we accept piemontese, than I vote to accept Rob Kaper's translation to
> > klingon.
>
> Come on, one is a real language spoken by real people, the other one is a
> gag.
>
> So far, we never "accepted" or "refused" a real language.

Well, we refused everything for kde-i18n which looked like a pure "fun
project" (like Klingon, Bork bork (Mock Chinese), Redneck English) or a local
dialect of an existing language (Saxon, Bavarian dialects for German) which
in the end also leads to "just another fun project".

"Real languages" (and esp. minority languages) are of course important to KDE.
The question is where to draw the line to a "mere dialect" and a "fun
project". Still can't decide this for Piemontese from the postings here. Will
try to make find the time for some web research over the next days.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org