List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Indic support in Qt (Re: RE:Translations to Kannada (KN) ?)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-09-02 13:36:56

Am Samstag, 31. August 2002 12:35 schrieb Thomas Diehl:

> As repeatedly stated already: We are promised some basic support for
> Indic languages in Qt 3.1. According to the Troll Tech pages, the beta
> for this is supposed to start within the next few weeks.

The bad news is: As Lars Knoll ("our man at Trolltech") just told me, Indic
support will not be very much improved in Qt 3.1. either. He just has not
found the time yet to do this single handed but would appreciate any help
(and of course patches) to improve the situation of Indic languages in Qt.

Basically, he is apparently faced with the dilemma that either open type
support needs to be implemented  (which is a huge job, esp. with Xft being
kind of a moving target) or there has to be an agreement on a proprietary
font encoding (which is not really in sight yet).

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org