List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Alternate calendar and digits
From:       Behdad Esfahbod <behdad () bamdad ! org>
Date:       2002-08-27 16:24:58

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> On Thursday 20 June 2002 13:52, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> > I was wondering if there is any mechanism for adding an alternate calendar
> > to KDE: In Iran, we are using three *official* calendards, the main one is
> > named Jalali (only used in Iran), and the others being the Hijri Islamic
> > calendar and the Gregorian calendar. Each is used for computing some
> > occasions, and a PIM software definitely needs all three of them. Also,
> > the main date components should display the Jalali date, since one hardly
> > uses the Gregorian date here if she is not in an international relations
> > department!
> >
> > Also, the normal shape of digits we use is different. We use the digits at
> > Unicode positions U+06F0..U+06F9. So applications should display the
> > numbers (like filesizes) with these digits. Localized digits are also used
> > in many Arabic countries, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and India.
> >
> > I need to know if there are mechanisms for specifying these, or if there's
> > not, where is the proper place to add them. We can do all the necessary
> > coding, but diving in the current codebase and designing something
> > interoperable may be very hard.
>
> It's the first time I hear about it and I'm afraid it will be very tough to
> get that going correctly (and fast).
>
> The first function you will have to look at is QString::setNum in
> qt-copy/src/tools/qstring.cpp. If you have hacked that so it does your
> numbers, you will see all other places I can't even think about yet ;(

Well, would you please let me know how can I find the current
language in QString::setNum??  I mean, it should use Persian
digits just if the language is fa_IR, if someone tell me how to
do this, I will write the patch for localized digits.

--
Behdad Esfahbod		5 Shahrivar 1381, 2002 Aug 27
http://behdad.org/	[Finger for Geek Code]

#define is_persian_leap(y) ((((y)-474)%2820+2820)%2820*31%128<31)