List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Authorization & permissions are different things
From:       Claudiu Costin <claudiuc () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-27 20:31:56

       Dear friends,

Here is from kdelibs.po:

#: kio/kfile/kfilesharedlg.cpp

"You can also reconfigure file sharing authorization."
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 It sound to forced for me. I understand like
I (me) configure authorization to other people
to share my files to other people or means.
(I hope my English was clear ;)
   I'm the only one who think like that?

"You need to be authorized to share directories."
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  I'll preffer like:
"You need to have permissions to ...."
because is the language used along all KDE.

 Some things that I think are usefull:

  1) authentication - making sure you talk with
who think you must (you indentify by face, voice etc. if you're
a man, or common shared secret if you're a computer or man).

  2) authorization - is a process, act after authentication
for obtain permission to a resurse: file, directory, NSA labs :)

  3) permissions - a static thing. A posession of something
after athorization.

  I hope I was correct and clear :)

kind regards,
--