List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: Plural form
From:       Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre () nbi ! dk>
Date:       2002-08-23 17:02:34

Malcolm Hunter wrote:

> I have "fixed" other instances of this by splitting the strings, ie.:
>
> i18n("1 item\nAnother line", "%n items\nAnother line", items) into:
> i18n("1 item\n, "%n items\n", items) + i18n("Another line")
                           ^^
Isn't that line break misplaced?

I suspect that you wanted to write:

   i18n("1 item\n, "%n items", items) + i18n("\nAnother line")

There are two solutions:

 1) To use something else than "\n" to mark line breaks. It
    could for example be "<br>".

 2) Drop the forced line breaks from the strings.

In the long run, I think the real solution is to pass an
array of strings (or maybe simply two strings) to the plural
form version of "i18n()".

Jacob
--
"It is very easy to get ridiculously confused about the
 tenses of time travel, but most things can be resolved