List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: My final chance
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-17 20:04:14

Am Freitag, 16. August 2002 04:01 schrieb Piotr Szymanski:

> Any forking in i18n must be forbidden! Not because I say so,
> but because kde is not a test zone for translators its a big project which
> needs to look professional.

Just to avoid a misunderstanding: I was talking about a _possible_ counterpart
to kdeextragear which is _not_ part of the official KDE distribution.

> Forking languages would lead to a PR disaster,
> what I mean by it is that once we have a pl_2 translation Im leaving, sorry
> but being a i18n-xx maintainer means that I (I mean I and Jacek) am
> responsable for the translation, its quality, consistency and its
> completeness. This means that if somethings goes bad Ill be blamed in my
> country for it. If there were two pl translation, KDE _loses_ control of
> which one of the would be shipped with distros... This means that the pl_2
> might be include as an offical in a distro, therefore making me responsible
> for something I have never touched.
> Another problem with PR is much worse, forking translation means that the
> project can not function normally, which means that the project is lets
> say, less credible...

Like I said: I'm not in favor of something like this myself. But I would not
like to see the structures in translation drift too far away from the habits
in development and to become to much "authoritarian" or "leadership
oriented", either. The case of translation teams may be a bit special
compared to developers (I think it is) but it is part of Free Software and of
the pretty anarchic KDE project after all.

Anyway, my present approach to this would be just "wait and see". I don't
think there is a need for any drastic actions yet.

> About the roles of coordinators:
> 1.) They are responsible for the state (quality, consistency &
> completeness) of the i18n-xx they maintain
> 2.) They are responsible for l10n of KDE

As far as this is possible in a free project: yes. As to the rest of your
list, I would still like to leave most of it to the individual teams. This is
largely a matter of the persons and mentalities involved.

> Thomas Diehl (Monday 12 August 2002 10:19):
> > And, before I forget, I'm also starting to look for somebody who
> > would like to take over the job of "speaking for the translation teams as
> > a whole" and writing messages like this one ...
>
> Does this mean you are planning to leave i18n?

I have to cut back on my KDE work but I'll try not to drop out entirely for
the time being.

> Sorry, but I enjoy working
> with you and would  be sad if it turned that you want to leave.

Thank you very much.

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org