List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Asking for guidance
From:       Roozbeh Pournader <roozbeh () sharif ! edu>
Date:       2002-08-11 23:17:46

I'm asking for some guidance here, per suggestion of Thomas Diehl, since
I've got really confused about how may I be allowed to contribute to
Persian translation of KDE. A short story first:

After some struggles with someone (Mr Arash Zeini) who had reserved the
position of the coordinator of KDE's translation to Persian for some years
(but not providing any translations yet), including him publicly insulting
me about me being very young, and also asking me to stop from translating
KDE until he tells me to (possibly since he had financial or copyright
interests in holding the translation effort for a while), it got very hard
for me to cooperate with him (you can see
<http://lists.sharif.edu/pipermail/farsikde> for more details).

I then tried to ignore the hassles, considering them personal, and since I
was translating KDE almost full time, I tried to play fair, and provide
all my translations to him on a regular basis, in the hope he merges them
with translations of his he had claimed to start a while ago but refused
to share. After he did not do that, I volunteered to do the merge myself,
but he did not send his translations to me (you can see
<http://lists.sharif.edu/pipermail/farsi/> for some of the discussions,
although not all are archived there).

Then I tried to ignore him completely, and got back to work, with a first
phase finished yesterday, a complete Persian translation of kdelibs.pot's
3000 messages from the HEAD branch. I sent these to Thomas then, expecting
him to add Persian to the CVS repository, and register me as the
coordinator (since Mr Arash Zeini had not provided any translations).
Thomas then told me that this is not the way things work, and he can't
change the current coordinator, even when he had not provided any
translations.

So I suggested creating another translation team to Thomas, using the
language's three-letter code instead of the two-letter one Mr Zeini had
reserved, and also using the official name of the language in English
instead of the transcription of the language name to Latin, which Mr Zeini
had suggested originally. So, I could continue the translation with the
help of the team I have gathered in previous days, and avoid the
continuous friction with Mr Zeini. Thomas said I should ask on
'kde-i18n-doc' for such a thing.

Since I'm very confused about how things work in KDE translation, and it
seems that the real situation is different from what the HOWTO document
mentions (see

	http://i18n.kde.org/translation-howto/starting-translation.php

for example), I am asking for some guidance here. Do you think a new team
should be created, do you think Thomas should replace Mr Zeini, or do you
have any other recommendations? (Like I should forget about translating
KDE? ;))

roozbeh

(CC-ed to other mailing lists for their information.)

--
Roozbeh Pournader               | Sometimes I forget to reply to emails.
Sharif University of Technology | Some other times I don't find the time.