List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    can a single app use more than one pot file?
From:       Jason Harris <jharris () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2002-08-02 14:57:57

Hello,

The kstars.pot file is a bit of a mess right now.  We recently added all of
the place names in our cities database, which added literally thousands of
strings to the template file.

The problem is, any given language is only going to be interested in a small
subset of these strings, and they appear to be scattered throughout
kstars.pot, which is probably going to make it much more difficult to find
the more-important GUI strings.

We would like to organize this by having separate POT files.  kstars.pot would
contain only the top-priority "universal" GUI strings that all languages will
want to translate.  We would then have a series of files, such as
kstars-cities-de.pot, kstars-cities-es,pot, etc.  containing the city/country
strings, separated into language groups.  This would make it *much* easier
for teams to find the city name strings they are most likely to want to
translate, and ignore all the others.

Is such a thing possible?

thanks,
Jason