List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: hindi gnome & indix project(was Re:hindi)
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2002-06-20 13:35:38

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:33:14 +0200
>
> Lars Knoll <lars@trolltech.com> wrote:
> > Doing it at the XServer level seems wrong to me. Some people tried
> > this for hebrew/arabic, but the result can be at best halfways
> > usable for displaying. You will get lots of problems with
> > applications that query font metrics on a per character basis and
> > assume these are correct. There is no way at all you could get an
> > editor working this way.
> >
> > So IMO the work has to be done on the toolkit level that offers
> > displaying and editing widgets. In our case this is Qt, and I am
> > very much willing to devote time to implement this, once we get the
> > basics in place. This means I would need some way to get access to
> > the open type tables from freetype or (best) Xft. Once we have that,
> > we are a big step further, as Qt already offers a lot of the
> > infrastructure needed.
>
>  Freetype 1.3 had some support for opentype tables, but was removed in
> later versions (& current 2.X.X)

I know, but as Xft uses freetype2, you would get into trouble trying to
intermix this with freetype1. The option you have is to copy the code from
freetype1 over.

> They will be having a seperate layout library for opentype. Pango
> utilizes the 1.3 support, an indic opentype renderer has been written
> based on it ( and code from ICU ). Indix also has similar code, maybe
> that can be used.

Possible. I would need 1-2 quiet weeks to evaluate this.

>  btw can we have say just basic support ( ie just the indic unicode
> ranges ), no ligatures. Say just by using a unicode font which has
> basic devangari glyphs. Is it possible in Qt 3?

That's already possible. Just set your font family to any indic true type font
(provided it has a Unicode mapping).

Lars