On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 13:33:14 +0200 Lars Knoll wrote: > > Doing it at the XServer level seems wrong to me. Some people tried > this for hebrew/arabic, but the result can be at best halfways > usable for displaying. You will get lots of problems with > applications that query font metrics on a per character basis and > assume these are correct. There is no way at all you could get an > editor working this way. > > So IMO the work has to be done on the toolkit level that offers > displaying and editing widgets. In our case this is Qt, and I am > very much willing to devote time to implement this, once we get the > basics in place. This means I would need some way to get access to > the open type tables from freetype or (best) Xft. Once we have that, > we are a big step further, as Qt already offers a lot of the > infrastructure needed. > Freetype 1.3 had some support for opentype tables, but was removed in later versions (& current 2.X.X) They will be having a seperate layout library for opentype. Pango utilizes the 1.3 support, an indic opentype renderer has been written based on it ( and code from ICU ). Indix also has similar code, maybe that can be used. btw can we have say just basic support ( ie just the indic unicode ranges ), no ligatures. Say just by using a unicode font which has basic devangari glyphs. Is it possible in Qt 3? (Sorry for prev mail in this thread, sent by mistake ) Regards, Karunakar