List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    hindi gnome & indix project(was Re:hindi)
From:       Pramod <pramodleo () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-06-20 9:06:22

Here is the Gnome-Hindi translation team for \
Hindi(http://indlinux.org/hindi/gnome/index.php). You(the person who started the \
tread) can direct your enquiries there.

On Thursday 20 June 2002 01:32 pm, Lars Knoll wrote:
> I think a solution to this should be based on Xft/freetype, where we can
> get direct access to the fonts, we should not even try to make it work with
> non Xft based systems. Getting the glyphs from Xft is not the problem, but
> knowing which glyphs to use for the ligatures. The best solution would be
> to implement the open type solution MS uses, as we can then use all indic
> open type fonts available.
The guys at Indix Project(http://rohini.ncst.ernet.in/indix/) are trying to provide \
support for indic languages right at the X-server level, by modifying the X-server \
itself. Their server(indix) even has support for open-type \
fonts(http://rohini.ncst.ernet.in/indix/technical_details.html). But IMHO, it does \
seem too complicated & whether such a thing is really feasible in terms of stability, \
                et al needs to be pondered.
-Pramod.