List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re[2]: KBabel dbsearchengine, switch to SQL?
From:       Grisha Mokhin <mokhin () bog ! msu ! ru>
Date:       2002-06-08 14:27:45

AdG> feature" for KBabel. You certainly can't require translators to
AdG> install a MySQL server. Do you realise what kind of resources
AdG> that requires? Consider the Russian team, who -- by hearsay --
AdG> have one floppy drive between the two of them. We don't even ask
AdG> *developers*, who are by-the-by not afraid of installing a bunch
AdG> of software to get started, to install an SQL server. I'd
AdG> certainly refuse.

Actually, Russian team would like to have a MySQL plugin for KBabel,
it will be quite useful for many things, including online translation
database with web interface. With this plugin it will be also easy to
look up translations into different languages for a message string,
that can be quite useful for many teams.

Our members don't suffer from lack of hard drive space or ability to
set up MySQL server and run an SQL script to install a database. MySQL
is pretty easy to use, and there are many excellent tools to
administer it, like phpmyadmin etc...

What Adrian is right, that we can't expect this ability from all of
our teams and translators, so there should be options to do what they
find comfortable for themselves.

--
Best regards,
 Grisha                            mailto:mokhin@bog.msu.ru