List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: App duplication again (Re: new project in kdemultimedia)
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-05-09 6:34:13

Am Donnerstag, 9. Mai 2002 07:54 schrieb Erik Kjær Pedersen:

> I guess I understand what kdenonbeta is, and I really am all for
> something that will avoid the present unpleasant duplication. But what
> does "others" stand for?

So far "others" seems to mean external programs, _outside_ KDE CVS. Their
authors would eg like to have their apps translated by KDE language teams.
Hence the already existing "others" section in kde-i18n. The upcoming new
modules (kdeprime, kdeapps, kdeextra, or whatever they will be called) are
meant for development _inside_ KDE CVS. To some degree, they will become
part of the project, but they will not be an "official" part of KDE
releases.

As for language teams: They are not expected to translate these new modules
(although it would be nice if they did). The teams are not expected to
translate "others" and "kdenonbeta" either. Translating "others" may be
nice, too, but translating "nonbeta" would be mostly a waste of time since
many of the apps in there are highly experimental, not really functional,
or just plain dead. This state of kdenonbeta (which can't be easily changed
since people also need room for experiments) is one of the main reasons for
creating the upcoming "extra" modules in the first place.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/