List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: KDE_3_0_BRANCH and i18n strings
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-26 12:32:50

On Tuesday 26 March 2002 12.59, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 March 2002 04:51, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Hi,

> > as you might have read in the previos posting, kde-i18n is not branched
> > yet, mainly because it wasn't decided yet which of the branches (HEAD vs
> > KDE_3_0_BRANCH or even both) will be message-merged into kde-i18n.
> >
> > I can branch KDE_3_0_BRANCH as soon as the tag-moving finished (takes
> > ages in kde-i18n). But I assume there will be a lot of time between 3.0.1
> > and 3.1 release, so it might be just convenient to not branch kde-i18n at
> > all, and msgmerge KDE_3_0_BRANCH into HEAD kde-i18n. This way you can
> > continue on improving the translations for 3.0.1/3.0.2. I assume it
> > doesn't make sense to work on the HEAD branch for now (as major amount of
> > i18n string changes are possible).
>
> I would prefer branching now instead of after 3.0.1. From past experiences
> I think I learned, that leaving the developers alone for too long i18n-wise
> tends to be more work in the afterrun :)

I had an idea for the documentation, inspired by the BIC Fridays we had.

How about making a policy cosmetic changes (proofreading, spelling, "nicer"
wording) any time, and real content changes only one day a week (let the
translators choose which is most convenient for them, Monday perhaps so they
have the week to translate, or Friday so they have the weekend.

This would let Malcolm and the other proofreaders continue working (and I was
hoping to get some more applications cleaned up with check_gui_texts as
well.)  Still, the teams who have translated a particular piece of
documentation will know they can just mark off any fuzzies created other days
as OK, and the teams who haven't, won't much care, changes are changes.

I guess such an idea might be possible for the GUI too, it didn't seem to
cause too much of a problem to have people hold onto some commits for a few
days when it was BIC issues.  There's not so many people committing to the
docs though, it wouldn't be too difficult to achieve for us.

The other thing that comes to mind: I can generate templates from
KDE_3_0_BRANCH docs for kde-i18n, but I think if it is agreeable to the
translators to keep doing some work in the documentation during the branch,
we should have a ~2 week freeze again, as we did for the release (I think it
worked out well, at least, I haven't heard any complaints.)

Going by past schedules, if 3.0.1 is 4-6 weeks after 3.0 (which is what,
another week or so from being announced?), then we still have 3-5 weeks to
work on the documentation, which is enough time to get quite a lot of
polishing work done, and maybe a couple of major updates written.

Regards
--
Lauri Watts