List:       kde-i18n-doc
Subject:    Re: IMPORTANT: KDE 3.0 not so final
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-26 10:26:29

On Tue, 26 Mar 2002 10:35:48 +0100 (CET), Jacek Stolarczyk wrote:

>We definitely learned the lesson "Don't read release candidate language
>listings, focus on statistics and improve them". Polish was included in
>previous RCs and actually I was somewhat surprised to see it dropped from
>the final (especially since I passed the "coordination duties" to other
>member of our team for this release).

Well, yesterday I heard for the first time of a new Polish coordinator
(from you, still nothing from himself). Is he even subscribed to this
list?

>So I think for later releases it
>would be better to be very strict from the very first rc (or beta). Hence
>coordinators will be awaken early.

You can't expect any team to have good statistics in early beta stages.
Therefore, it was formerly requested to "include about everything" into
the betas (also to give teams a chance to recruit new translators) and
to decide only shortly before the release who is definitely in and who
is not. The real problem this time was that the i18n server went down
last week and time was getting too short to give everybody a fair
chance to react. Hope this won't happen again.

Still my main problem wouldn't be solved that way: I must admit that
I'm getting a bit tired of all this harping on statistics and playing
kind of a "police man" around here. Also with more and more teams
getting into the boat (which is great) it is becoming more and more
difficult to run after everybody with bad figures and check:

*  whether (s)he is aware that the release is approaching,
*  whether (s)he is subscribed to the mailing list at all and actually
reading the mail from it,
*  whether (s)he would like to be in included no matter how the figures
look etc.

Like many other people around here I have a full time job outside KDE
and had to struggle quite a bit myself to finish my own translations.
So I'm afraid I cannot do this the same way very much longer.

Unfortunately, the only alternative seems to drop those "minimum
statistical requirements" again and just include everything that
compiles. Any new opinions on that one?

Regards,

Thomas

---